Home Page - Bowne House Historical Society
NEWS & EVENTS
  School Group Tours  
   
 
year end letter december 2009
 
  Education Resources  
   
 
year end letter december 2009
 
  News & Articles  
   
 
year end letter december 2009
 
  Preservation
Project
 
   
 
year end letter december 2009
 
  President's Letter 2015  
   
 
year end letter december 2009
 
  Upcoming Events  
   
 
 
  Bowne House Newsletter  
   
 
year end letter december 2009
 
  Donation Form  
   
 
year end letter december 2009
 
  Bowne House Garden News...  
   
 
 
  The Historic House Trust Newsletter  
  complete details >>  
 
 
  The New York Sun article Flushing, the New Face of the City.  
   
 
 
  The Knight News article Exploring Flushing's John Bowne House.  
   
 
 
  Queens Chronicle article Bowne House gets $125K more for repairs.  
   
 
 
  350th Anniversary of the Flushing Remonstrance Celebratory Events  
   
 
 
     
  CHINESE VERSION >>  
 

Friends Meeting House

The Friends Meeting House is located on Northern Boulevard east of Main Street.

The Quakers of Flushing, who for 30 years had met in the Bowne House, purchased this site in 1692 The first services were held in 1694, when the building was completed.

It was enlarged to its present size in 1719. The building has been in continuous use as a place of worship since it was erected, except during the Revolution, when it was used by the British Army for a prison and barracks.

Friends Meeting House
Friends Meeting House
from Bowne House publication

The original benches were broken by the British soldiers and used for firewood. Those now in use were installed after the revolution.


Friends Meeting House
Friends Meeting House
Friends Meeting House Interior
From Bowne House publication
Friends Meeting House interior showing
"Ships Knees," which were used in early
sailing ships to brace the deck to the hull.
Here they are used to brace the heavy
beams on the upper floor, from Bowne
House publication