FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE
“Ships Knees,” which were used in early
sailing ships to brace the deck to the hull.
Here they are used to brace the heavy
beams on the upper floor, from Bowne
The Friends Meeting House is located on Northern Boulevard east of Main Street. The Quakers of Flushing, who for 30 years had met in the Bowne House, built the Meeting House on land acquired by John Bowne in 1692. The first services were held in 1694, when the building was completed.